Sunday, July 4, 2010

That Sh*t Aint Cute!

I concur Mr. President. 

As I type this, there is a block party going on outside of my house. I was taking part in the festivities until about an half hour ago. I could go into some convoluted explanation about why I'm in the house but I can sum it up in one statement: I couldn't take the twerkin'. Normally, twerkin' doesn't bother me, after all, I'm 20 years old and I've frequented a few clubs with my peers. But, the people twerkin' were not my peers, they were children. None of these girls looked any older than 10 but they were shakin', splittin' and droppin' all over the place. It was a pedophile's dream and it drove me crazy. I am passionate about uplifting my community, especially other women, so I could not condone that behavior. I didn't stand there and clap saying "Go __" nor did I encourage them by smiling and suggesting more lewd dance moves they could try. These little girls shook and shimmied to every song that came on and were lost when people stopped them from dancing like strippers. I don't blame them though, I blame their parents, guardians and any older person that has any influence in their lives. I blame our community for letting our children be bombarded by these messages and letting our little girls think it's okay for them to act like streetwalkers.

There are people that may think that I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill but, those same people will fussing and crying when their little girl grows up and think the only power they have lies in their p*ssy. They will be wondering what went wrong when they're daughters become statistics. We need to raise our girls to know that their self-worth doesn't just lie with their bodies. They should know that it doesn't take the pop of an ass or lick of a pair of lips to look cute, pretty or even sexy. Our boys should be able to look at their female counterparts and see queens and princesses rather than bitches, hoes and hood rats. Bottom line, we need to do better.

If I seem like I am rambling, I apologize. I had to get this off of my chest. This probably will not be my last post on this subject, so expect a more organized post in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment