Thursday, July 22, 2010

It's A...Baby!


I have toyed with the idea of having kids for a while. One minute I would want them, the next, I didn't. I've settled for just saying I won't have them for a while (knocks on wood). As I've gotten older, my ideas about having kids has shifted from whether or not I want them to which gender I'd prefer to parent.

When I first starting thinking about that I swore up and down that I wanted just a little girl and no boys. I grew up in a house full of women, I'm a bit of a priss and I would love to have a mini me walking around for me to dress up and indoctrinate with my views. After all, there can never be too many little nappy headed, feminist prisses in this work.

Although I would love to have a little girl one day, I don't think I'd have a problem with having a little boy either. As of right now, one of each would be ideal. I wouldn't mind watching him throw a football with his daddy or having him worship the ground I walk on because I'm his mama. Either way, I'd be cool. Sadly, the same cannot be said of a lot of other people.

I've countless conversations with people during which they stated their preference for one gender while putting down the other using a bunch of tired ass stereotypes. Girls have been called too high maintenance, too expensive, too emotional and etc. Boys have been referred to as too rough, too messy, to mischievious and etc. I have always had a strong disdain for stereotypes and part of the reason I blog is to enlighten people, so I've decided to write a letter/post (don't know which yet) to both my future son and my future daughter and explain why I wouldn't mind being a mother to either gender. Stay tuned and look out for both!

What do you think? Which gender would you prefer? Boy, Girl or Both? Drop a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment